ECI is closing
Electronic Commerce Interface (ECI) is closing in December 2019. This is due to its limited functionality and services being outdated and replaced by modern digital services.
As ECI is closing; it is not available for new users and current users will need to upgrade their systems.
There are other digital channels to use such as Business Portal, Tax or BAS Agent Portal, Online services for agents, Practitioner Lodgment Services (PLS) and SBR-enabled software.
The following reports cannot be lodged through ECI but are available to lodge through ATO portals:
- tax file number (TFN) declaration reports
- pay as you go (PAYG) withholding annual reports, including
- PAYG withholding payment summary annual report
- PAYG withholding where ABN not quoted annual report
- PAYG withholding annual report - payments to foreign residents
- Departing Australia superannuation payments (DASP) annual report
- employee share scheme (ESS) annual reports
- Australian Investment Income Report
- Quarterly TFN reports
- Member contributions statement.
Find out more about the ATO's online services and alternative lodgment methods, visit: www.ato.gov.au/onlineservices
For information about file transfer and the file formats and versions accepted, go to www.ato.gov.au/filetransfer
Find out more about SBR at www.sbr.gov.au
The ATO introduced ECI over 20 years ago; the Client software is an application that allows businesses with an Australian Business Number (ABN) to communicate with the ATO electronically.
ECI enables the following functions to be completed online:
- lodge super reports, including
- Assessment variation advice
- Member exit statement
- Payment variation advice
- Reasonable benefit limits
- SuperMatch request
- Unclaimed superannuation money statement
- collect super reports, including
- reasonable benefit limits
- remittance advice and recovery notice
- SuperMatch response
- surcharge provider assessment details
- lodge claims for the product stewardship for oil program
- lodge first home saver accounts reports, including
- First home saver account activity report
- First home saver account payment variation advice
- collect first home saver account reports, including
- Remittance advice and recovery notice
- Outcome of lodgment report
- lodge multiple activity statements on behalf of others (you cannot use ECI to lodge forms R, S and T).
Functions are grouped into smaller applications that are located within the ECI. There are five applications available:
Allows general businesses access to the most commonly used functions
- Activity Statements (the sub menu link to the
In Tray, Out Tray and Sent Items used for the download and lodgment of
- Super Funds
Allows access to the functions listed above and allows you to
send and receive Superannuation Surcharge and other general
superannuation files to the ATO and to receive certain superannuation files from
the ATO. You are also able to lodge Unclaimed Superannuation Money reports.
- Investment Bodies
Allows access to the functions listed above plus validation and lodgment of First Home Savers Account (FHSA) activity report and FHSA Payment Variation Advice (PVA) statement.
Links to the In Tray, Out Tray and Sent Items which can be used for
the creation of Excise documents or the download and lodgment of activity
- BAS Service Provider
Allows access to the activity statement functions plus the BAS
Service Provider Client List and Document list.See the BAS agent FAQ for more information about access to this function.
How does ECI work?
The ECI provides digitally signed and encrypted exchange
of documents and messages between the ATO and clients. Once validated,
documents may be transmitted online through the ECI to the ATO. Only documents
free of error will be transmitted online.
For more information about how to use the ECI, select
Online Manuals on the left.
USING ELECTRONIC COMMERCE INTERFACE (ECI)
- Minimum computer requirements
- Error messages and validation reports
ECI is no longer actively supported. Please forward any support enquiries via email to DWIS Operations
For more information about ECI refer to:
You will need an AUSkey to lodge data to us via ECI.
- What is an AUSkey
- Register for an AUSkey
Phone 1300 AUSKEY (1300 287 539)
General enquiries, Monday - Friday, 8am - 6pm
Technical support, Monday - Friday, 7am - midnight
Queries regarding reporting, lodgment and forms should be directed to:
- Super Funds reporting requirements
- Or contact us
- Superannuation Infoline 13 10 20
- Business and Investment bodies reporting requirements
- Or contact us
- Business Infoline 13 28 66
- Excise and Product Stewardship for Oil (PSO)
- Or contact us
- Fuel Grants Infoline 1300 657 162